Monday, August 29, 2016
DEPRESSION: The 7 DIFFERENCES BETWEEN WOMEN & MEN, Gender Identity, How Dose It Apply Here?
Today I talk about the 7 differences between men and women when it comes to depression. Obviously, everyone will feel different, and nothing is cut and dried but these are just some of the statistical differences that we see between the sexes. I think it's important to note because women are found to be 2x more likely than men to struggle with depression. So the more we know, hopefully the sooner we can reach out for help.
1. Women tend to feel more sad and worthless. Whereas men tend to feel more irritable and agitated.
2. Women tend to take the negative icky feelings out on themselves. While men, are more likely to lash out at others.
3. Women tend to cope with food and friends. While men tend to cope with TV, sex and alcohol. This really just shows us how both sexes can unhealthfully numb out from their depression when it gets to be too much.
4. Women also tend to get depressed over stressful life events. Men are able to better see that it's just a situation and it will go away and be okay. Women on the other hand, will ruminate at night and really worry or stress about the situation.
5. Women are much more likely to also struggle with a coexisting eating disorder. Why would that be? Because we tend to cope by using food! If you find yourself using food to numb out from your feelings of depression, please reach out for help. It can get better, but the sooner we get help, the easier recovery will be.
6. Depression is more debilitating to women. I would assume this is because we ruminate and lean on our friends during these hard times. This can lead to us feeling worse and worse and potentially ruin relationships. So please get professional help sooner rather than later!
7. Women reach out more often then men! So men, reach out! Let's all get help sooner rather than later.
Resources: www.talkspace.com, www.7cupsoftea.com, www.betterhelp.com