Friday, June 19, 2015

Rachel Maddow; ‘I’m Really Happy That Brian Williams Is Coming Here to MSNBC’ -




Rachel Maddow became the first member of the MSNBC community on Thursday evening to express her support for recently removed NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams and took time on her eponymous show to opine that she’s “really happy” he will be joining her on the cable network since she “believe[s] in redemption” and “second chances.” After summarizing the news regarding the decision, Maddow wanted to make clear that “nobody at this company asked me to make this statement” and while she speculated that she was “causing some schpilcus somewhere in this building because I'm talking about this,” she felt that she owed it to viewers “to tell you what I know” and “also to tell you what I think.” - 



Maddow then stepped forward and declared that she’s “really happy that Brian Williams is coming here to MSNBC” and gave her first reason as being that “he’s apologized” and “acknowledged what he did.”
Describing his six-month suspension and investigation into stories he’s told as “the most fantastically humbling experience that you can imagine,” Maddow argued that “work[ing] his way back in to earning people's trust again” and wanting to return to covering the news at all is “exactly the way second chances should work.” 
Maddow emphasized that she wasn’t condoning what Williams did, but she viewed his new role at MSNBC as “giv[ing] him a chance to reedem himself” and a good one at that considering how he “has tremendous experience and just sheer capability when it comes to on-air handling of big news and breaking news.”
Wrapping it all up, The Rachel Maddow Show host again acknowledged that “these are extraordinary circumstances in which is being able to do this” as well as make the point that:
I believe in redemption. I believe in second chances. I am glad he's going to be here. I am looking forward to him starting here and that is just me speaking for me and nobody told me to say this and I'm sure a lot of people don't want me to say this, but that's how I feel and I wanted you to know how I feel it[.]
Since then, NBC aired on Friday’s Today portions of Today co-host Matt Lauer’s interview with Williams. As the Media Research Center’s Kyle Drennen explained, Williams told Lauer that he “was not trying to mislead people” but declined to state that he had lied about the numerous stories that he’s covered over the years.
- See more at: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/curtis-houck/2015/06/19/rachel-maddow-im-really-happy-brian-williams-coming-here-msnbc#sthash.O9OMBNxb.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment