Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Melissa Harris-Perry Go Off The Deep End Again, Call Hard Work Racist?




Let's all go "Off the Record." I don't make it a habit of watching other networks, but I saw an article reporting that an MSNBC weekend host named Melissa Harris-Perry on her show objected to the use of the description hard worker. Now, what could possibly be wrong with the description hard worker, right?
(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)
ALFONSO AGUILAR, APP LATINO PARTNERSHIP DIRECTOR:If there is somebody who is a hard worker when he goes to Washington, it's Paul Ryan.
MELISSA HARRIS-PERRY, MSNBC HOST: I want us to be super careful when we use the language hard worker because, I mean, I actually keep an image of folks working in cotton fields in my office wall because it is a reminder about what hard work looks like.
(END VIDEO CLIP)
I hardly know what to say. Is she suggesting that the description, hard worker may be racist? If she is, that's really out there.
And speaking of "hard work," TV, it's easy. Not hard work. Hard work is being a police officer, a firefighter, a teacher, member of our military, paramedic, et cetera. And while being on TV is not hard work, those of us on TV do have a responsibility not to be completely ridiculous by getting all fussed up over the use of the description hard worker. That, incidentally, where I grew up not a slur, it's a compliment.
That's my "Off the Record" comment.
http://nation.foxnews.com/2015/10/28/greta-what-exactly-racist-about-term-hard-worker

No comments:

Post a Comment